Familiarize yourself with the following:
Luke 2:22-40Shortly after Jesus was born, Mary and Joseph took him to the temple to have him dedicated to God. This was the custom in Israel according to the law of Moses. While in the temple, a man named Simeon came up to the young family. Simeon had been promised by God that he would not die until he had seen the Messiah with his own eyes. When Simeon saw Jesus, he held him and praised God in a loud voice and prophesied over Jesus that he would change the world. As he was finishing his prophecy, a woman named Anna approached. She was a prophetess, and lived in the temple worshiping God. Anna also prophesied over Jesus to all who were near and listening and looking forward to the redemption of Israel. After this, Mary and Joseph did everything that was required by the law for them to do, and returned to their home in Nazareth of Galilee. Jesus grew and became strong, and God was with him.
Object LessonSupplies Needed:
• Photos of several well-known people (famous, celebrities, church members, etc.)
o A baby photo of each person
o An adult photo of each person
1. Display the baby photos of the well-known people. See if they can match up the pictures of the baby photos with the correct pictures of the adult photos.
2. Ask the children if they think the parents of these well-known people had any idea that they would grow up to be special or famous? Did the well-known people have any idea how their life would turn out?
3. Explain to the children that the story today will show us how God has a special plan for everyone’s life.
Memory VerseLuke 2:30-32
For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all nations: a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of your people Israel.
Jesus ConnectionFrom the beginning of the Bible, we see that God had a special plan for Jesus. All Jews anxiously awaited the arrival of the Messiah, because they knew that he would bring salvation to Israel. Even though the arrival of Jesus did not happen when the Jews thought that it would, there were people still waiting, ready for him to come. Through the prophets, Simeon and Anna, God announced that he still had great plans for Jesus. Just has God had plans for Jesus, he also has plans for us. The prophet Jeremiah told us of these plans when he said, “’I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’” (Jeremiah 29:11)
Take My Life and Let It BeTake my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to thee
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in endless praise.
Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee.
Praising JesusSupplies Needed:
• Baby doll
• A list of Jesus’ special qualities (love, kindness, generosity, honesty…)
• A list of ways we can serve God (help the poor, make a present of a friend, bring food to a neighbor…)
1. Have the children sit in a circle. Show them the doll and explain to them that for this activity, the baby doll will be Jesus.
2. Pass the baby doll around so that everyone can hold him just as Simeon did. When it is your turn to hold Jesus, say something special about him.
3. Start this activity with you holding the doll and giving the children an example. (When I think of Jesus, I think of someone who loved people.) Then pass the doll to the next person.
4. After the doll has been passed around the circle once, tell the children that you are going to pass the doll again, but this time they should say what they can do to serve God, just as Anna and Simeon did.
5. Once again, start this round with you giving an example. (I can serve God by making a meal for my neighbor.) The pass the doll to the next person.
6. If your children need extra help coming up with ideas, share the lists that you prepared before class.
Hand and Footprint DoveSupplies Needed:
• White paper
• Stick glue
• Grey or black paper
1. Trace one of your hands and one of your feet on white paper. Cut them out.
2. Glue the hand to the foot so that the fingers are sticking out like feathers.
3. Using a pencil, draw a dot on the heel of the foot for the eye.
4. Using a pencil, draw a beak on white paper. Color it in with the pencil. Cut it out.
5. Glue the beak to the heel.
6. Glue the entire bird to a piece of black or gray paper.